OK, so I know for a fact everybody gets the munchies sometimes! For some people it’s chocolate “kisses”, for others it’s potato chips. For me… it’s popcorn!! I am a sucker for any kind of popcorn, to be honest. I came across 479 Popcorn and was astonished to find out how many unique flavors they have created for all to enjoy.
479 Popcorn was founded by Jean Arnold, whose favorite memory included playing card games with her family while eating her mom’s home made popcorn. The creative seasoning combinations are inspired by her being brought up internationally and her training at Le Cordon Bleu in London. The reason for the name is she discovered that 479 degrees Fahrenheit is the perfect temperature for her famous popping corn.
This organic, yes ORGANIC popcorn company was very kind and provided their product for review. ALL opinions are mine and those I will mention. I received “The Foodie“:
Weird sounding, right? I was a little nervous but I figured if I didn’t like them it wasn’t the end of the world– I just simply wouldn’t eat it again. Hah.
- So, the Fleur de Sel Caramel was the closest thing to any popcorn I’ve ever tried. It had that perfect blend of sweet and salty– but perfectly popped. The salt crystals used are very delicate, yet also very bold and matches the buttery caramel just right!
- Now the Ginger Sesame Caramel definitely had a kick It kind of explains itself– yet can’t be grasped unless you just taste it! This was my favorite of the sweet popcorn that I tried. Sesame seeds combined with the ginger has that Asian zing to it while the traditional caramel added that comforting flavor to it.
- Hmmm… The Black Truffle + White Cheddar was by far the most bizarre popcorn I’ve ever tried. Black Truffle is a rare and expensive type of mushroom and it’s oil is added into the spices along with spiced white cheddar. It has a very rich flavor and it definitely stands out. At first I thought they meant chocolate and cheese… then I tasted it and immediately knew that a Black Truffle was a Mushroom. The reason I knew is because I can’t stand mushrooms! So this flavor wasn’t for me, but my friend Kathy LOVVEDDD it (she got to keep the box
- YAY for the Pimenton de la Vera! This one has Spanish paprika with tomato and onion flavors mixed in. Oh my gosh! What a tastebud grabber. You know that feeling when your favorite snack is mentioned when you’re hungry? That automatic mouthwatering drool? HAHA. You got it. That’s what I get with this. such a great summer snack. With the spices I wouldn’t suggest drinking soda with it– kind of an odd mix.
- Chipotle Caramel and Almonds was refreshing. It’s sweet and southern spicey. Don’t think it’s hot– it’s not. My eyes didn’t water at all. The chipotle is very mild, but for popcorn spice ideas it’s great and something you’re whole family can get into and make easily. I like the almonds as a little extra crunch in the snack.
Overall these are very clever, and if you like the spices in other food, you’ll almost certainly appreciate and most likely become addicted to them on organic, gluten-free, no trans fat popcorn! It was honestly very difficult to choose my favorite. I changed it a few times, so I guess it’s just whatever you have a taste for that day. I would definitely suggest this as a gift, or at least a gift card so that a loved one can explore the popcorn unknown. Another great idea for a gift would be to purchase the “Popcorn that Gives”– 100% of the proceeds go to help planting edible gardens in urban school settings. Gotta love the heart behind companies!
Check out their website, and be sure to: